The NEBOSH General Certificate course is one of the UK’s most popular health and safety qualifications. Offering a valuable overview of the core aspects of occupational health and safety, the course provides an excellent platform for individuals who are looking to build upon their knowledge and skills and take their career forward.
Designed for managers, supervisors and employees who have health and safety responsibilities, the certificate will equip you with all you need to know about how to manage workplace risks effectively.
Study Method & Duration
This NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety is studied via distance learning. You will be provided with course materials written by Phoenix which will also include study/revision/exam advice, support details and your study planner.
Support is offered by expert health and safety tutors, whom you can contact by telephone or email. You will also have access to a Facebook group specifically for distance learning students, where you can discuss any aspects of your studies with tutors and other students.
You can enrol at any time. The course can be studied in your own time, with total flexibility around your available hours.
Recommended study hours: 108
Unit NG1: Management of Health and Safety
- Element 1 – Why we should manage workplace health and safety
- Element 2 – How health and safety management systems work and what they look like
- Element 3 – Managing risk – understanding people and processes
- Element 4 – Health and safety monitoring and measuring
Unit NG2: Risk Assessment
- Element 5 – Physical and psychological health
- Element 6 – Musculoskeletal health
- Element 7 – Chemical and biological agents
- Element 8 – General workplace issues
- Element 9 – Work equipment
- Element 10 – Fire
- Element 11 – Electricity
The updated course now consists of two assessments:
- Unit NG1 (replacing NGC1) includes an open book exam, which you can complete at home.
- Unit NG2 is a practical risk assessment, carried out at your workplace. This is longer than the previous GC3 assessment.
What is an Open Book Exam?
An open book exam assesses the same learning outcomes as an invigilated, paper-based exam. However, in an open book exam, you can use textbooks, course notes and the internet.
You can complete the assessment in your own home, or another suitable location. You will have up to 24 hours to complete the NEBOSH open book exam, but we find that most candidates only take 4-5 hours.
The open book exam will test your analytical and critical skills, focussing on the knowledge gained during the course.
What is a closing interview?
After completing the open book exam, you will be asked to participate in a 15-minute closing interview. The purpose of the interview is to confirm that the work you have submitted is your own, and that you did not have any assistance in completing your NEBOSH assessment.
The closing interview takes place via video call, which you can access via smartphone, tablet or computer.
The interviewer will ask to see your identification. As such, you need to provide either your passport, driving license or national identity card. The interviewer must also see the room that you are in to ensure you don’t have access to notes. They will then ask you questions based on your open book exam, work and submission.
Your closing interview is not an assessment, so you won’t receive a mark. If the interviewer is happy that the work is your own, a mark will be published in line with NEBOSH timeframes.
External examiners mark all assessments and are appointed by NEBOSH. Each examiner is chosen for their experience and expertise, ensuring candidates are assessed by the best in our industry.
This qualification is accredited by the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH), as well as the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM).
When studying via distance learning you don’t pay for your exam upfront — you choose your preferred exam dates and pay later directly with the training provider after you’ve booked the course.
Exam Prices for Distance Learning Students
- 1 x Written exam (NGC1, GC2, FC1, NCC1, EC1, IGC1): £99 exc. VAT (held at one of our venues)
- Practical Assessment (EC2, FC2, GC3, NCC2): £50 exc. VAT
- Oil & Gas Certificate (IOG1): £120 exc. VAT (held at one of our venues)
- NGC Open Book Exam (NG1, IG1, NGC1, IGC1): £120 exc. VAT
- NGC New syllabus practical assessment (NG2 IG2): £85 exc. VAT
- NEBOSH Diploma Enrolment Fee: £60
- NEBOSH Diploma written exam fee per unit: £135 excl. VAT (held at one of our venues)
- NEBOSH Diploma unit DNI exam: £99 excl. VAT